This is a recipe I got from my Mum. It originally featured chicken stuffed with prunes but I've cut that bit out.
Time: 15 minutes preparation, 30 minutes to cook
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 medium onion
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 3 to 4 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 1 oz butter
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 140ml / ¼ pint white wine
- 430ml / ¾ chicken stock
- 200ml / 7 fl oz double cream
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Spread the chicken generously with the Dijon mustard and leave to stand.
- Put the onion and bacon in a frying pan and stir over a moderate heat until the onion has softened.
- Stir in the flour and add the wine and stock and then reduce.
- Mix the cream with the grainy mustard and vinegar, continue to reduce to a coating consistency.
- Dip the chicken breasts in the seasoned flour.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and put in the chicken and fry to brown both sides.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken in a casserole dish and cook for 20 minutes at 180ºC.
- You can use less cream, e.g. a 150ml pot.
- Less white wine vinegar is better.