This can be bought in the shops but, it is much nicer when you make your own. We have this with Greek salad and pitta bread but, it goes with lots of other things too.
- 2" length of cumcumber
- 3 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- Heaped teaspoon of fresh mint, finely chopped
- Caster sugar
- Peel the cumcumber to remove the dark green skin. Chop down the middle and cut out the seeds and discard.
- Grate the remaining cucumber into a bowl and sprink with a half pinch of salt. Mix thoroughly and leave for 10 minutes.
- Dry the cucumber on some kitchen roll and add the yoghurt, mint, a teaspoon of sugar and mix well.
- Leave in the fridge until required, ideally for not longer than 30 minutes.
- The thicker the yoghurt, the better the result in my view.
- Some people like to add a crushed clove of garlic.
- The recipe works with dried mint and I often use half dried and half fresh.