Very simple vegetarian recipe. Discovered this one on the Internet many years ago and it's simple and tastes great. Over the years I've added and improved it :-) I generally make a large batch and freeze them as they are best cooked from frozen in my view.
Time: 30 minutes preparation, 8 hours soaking, 10 minutes to cook.
- 250g dried chick peas
- 100g bulgar wheat
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1 green chilli
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander (250g pack)
- 2 tablespoons plain four
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Soak chick peas in water for 8 hours or over night.
- Soak bulgar wheat in water for at least 2 hours.
- Drain peas and wheat and mix all ingredients in a blender until finely chopped.
- Form walnut sized balls or use 2 desert sppons to form elongated shapes and chill or freeze.
- Deep fry until golden brown in olive oil.
- Serve in warm pitta bread with salad and humous.
- We almost always freeze them and deep fry from frozen, when required.
- You can also serve them with Tzatziki, bettroot and other tasty sides.